Sunday, April 10, 2011

spirit springs (day three)

A rough night, thanks to my new diet of raw foods. Stomach cramps kept me from getting a sound night's sleep, so when 8:30 a.m. finally rolled around, I dragged myself up to the studio to tell the woman who had come for my yoga session that I couldn't do it today. I felt like a failure, but she was very understanding, and said she'd be there all day, so just come back when I was ready. I slept for a couple more hours, showered, and then went up to the house where I was welcomed with some tea, a miso broth, and a big glass of grapefruit juice. These were supposed to ease my stomach, but what I wouldn't have given for just some toast or a scone; or some cheese or yogurt! I just needed something "solid" in my belly; something to chew on.

I sat in the sun for a while, letting its warm rays heal me as I sipped my various liquids, and felt my energy returning. She then gave me a soothing massage, with special emphasis on my belly, and exercises to help focus my attention away from my belly as needed. I felt much better afterwards. Andrzej returned in the afternoon with a new guest, a young man coping with Celiac disease. He'd just had a colonic, and was starting the juice detox diet, which involves drinking gigantic glasses of blended fruit and veggies every few hours for many days. And that's all you get. And I thought I was uncomfortable! He also gave me some natural probiotic pills, and then we ate yams for dinner. That made me happy.

We had stimulating dinner conversation. "Ignorance is bliss" is apparently not a true statement, but I still think it's better not to suffer, isn't it? Yes, if you are struck down by an illness or a loss, you may as well make the best of it and see what it can teach you, but to call it a "blessing" seems like a stretch. But I guess the point is that suffering is in fact unavoidable, and the sooner you understand that, the sooner you can learn from it. So in that sense, yes, it is a blessing to have your eyes opened by life's challenges, because otherwise they usually remain shut. We also talked about the importance of deep eye-contact with other people, and present touching (like a sincere hug). How often do we indulge in these things? It's all about seeing and acknowledging the oneness of everything in all of us. When I look into your eyes, I'm also looking into my own eyes. I'm all for it, but how does it help my tummy trouble? I guess I'm still thinking too small.

The creek is bubbling
The frogs are croaking
My gut is gurgling
The fire is toasting

Today was hump day, so I went to bed determined to sleep soundly and have a better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment