Thursday, September 9, 2010

so long, and thanks for all the fish

Of course I had to say a few words at my farewell party, and I was searching the internet the night before trying to find some clever last statement or rallying cry, preferably something historic or cinematic, like a quote from Socrates or Napoleon, or Clint Eastwood. Or something mock-inspirational like "Keep calm and carry on!" or "Onward and upward!" But nothing seemed quite right. I did however find some amusing last words (most of these were said on people's deathbeds, hence not quite appropriate for my situation, but almost!):

"Am I dying or is this my birthday?" (Lady Nancy Astor, upon waking up shortly before dying to find her family gathered around her bedside, d. 1964)

"Is everybody happy? I want everybody to be happy. I know I'm happy." (Ethel Barrymore, d. 1959)

"Now comes the mystery." (Henry Ward Beecher, d. 1887)

"Goodnight my darlings, I'll see you tomorrow." (Noel Coward, d. 1973)

"Damn it. Don't you dare ask God to help me." (Joan Crawford, to her housekeeper who was praying by her bedside, d. 1977)

"I must go in, the fog is rising." (Emily Dickinson, d. 1886)

"I have not told half of what I saw." (Marco Polo, d. 1324)

"I hope the exit is joyful and hope never to return." (Frida Kahlo, d. 1954)

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Dr. Seuss, d. 1991)

"Promise me you'll never forget me, because if I thought you would I'd never leave." (A.A. Milne, or maybe Winnie the Pooh)

"And Scarecrow, I think I'm going to miss you most of all . . ." (Dorothy)

"Tomorrow is another day!" (Scarlett O'Hara)

"So long, and thanks for all the fish." (Dolphins)

1 comment:

  1. Lots of entrances and exits in your life of late. I can never decide if I like them best, or if the long haul in the middle is more satisfying. I guess you have to experience both and appreciate them for what they are. If you never had the entrances and exits, the long haul would seem too long. Love you.

    ReplyDelete