Saturday, August 14, 2010

ambition

Ambition a: an ardent desire for rank, fame, or power b: desire to achieve a particular end. Applies to the desire for personal advancement or preferment and may suggest equally a praiseworthy or an inordinate desire.

"Ambition makes you look pretty ugly.
Kicking, squealing, gucci little piggy." Paranoid Android, Radiohead

Can you read this graphic? Ambition: Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. Or the unimaginable hideous gaping void of space. One of the two.

Several people have called me "ambitious" recently. It sure beats "passive-aggressive," but it's not a term I would ever have used to describe myself before. These people have meant it as a compliment, but I've always thought it had kind of a negative tinge to it, implying that you're motivated by money, greed, power, and/or that you're willing to get ahead at any cost, even if it means stepping on others along the way.

That's not me. I'm just a girl trying to get ahead in this world. I would love to make more money, sure, but what I really want is to not be bored. I want to stay stimulated, and I want to feel like I'm moving forward in my life. I'm very comfortable in my current job, and I think that alone makes me feel uncomfortable. So perhaps it's time to move on, especially when opportunity knocks so loudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment